by Java Nguyen
Sandwiches have the potential to be mouth-watering meals any time of the day. Sandwiches don’t have to be your plain old deil meat and cheese for lunch – you could be creative and use just about anything you want. Now that we’re well into summer, that means some produce and ingredients are in season and perfect to use. Tomatoes, cucumbers, basil, carrots, cilantro, eggplant and bell peppers are just a few in-season ingredients to consider for your sandwiches.
If you really want to be a bit adventurous, you can even use fruits. During this season, so many delicious fruits are ready to be used. Apricots, mangoes, apples and strawberries are some suggestions to experiment with.
Bread is another thing to pay attention to. Ditch the white bread and think about all the different types of bread that’s out there: multigrain, rye, sourdough, focaccia, ciabatta or French bread. Bread adds smell, texture and of course aesthetics, so it’s an important thing to look at to create the perfect summer sandwich.
Finally, always try to use the freshest ingredients. It makes such a big difference when you’re biting into fluffy, soft bread or juicy, ripe vegetables. I’ve listed some sandwiches recipes below so you can create perfect sandwiches for picnics or road trips.
Chicken, basil and tomato sandwich
1 chicken breast; season with salt and pepper
1 slice of fresh mozzarella cheese
1 fresh basil leaf
1 ½ tbsp olive oil
1 clove minced garlic
1. Put olive oil and minced garlic on a heated pan. Cook the chicken breast. Season it with salt and pepper to your liking.
2. When the chicken is done, take it out of the pan and set it aside to let it cool for a few minutes.
3. Spread mayo on the bread. Assemble your sandwich with the basil leaf, tomato, mozzarella and chicken.
Avocado and mango sandwich with cilantro-lime mayonnaise
1/3 cup light mayonnaise
¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
1 tbsp fresh lime juice
A few leaves of romaine lettuce
1 mango, thinly sliced
1 avocado, thinly sliced
Salt and pepper
1. In a bowl, mix mayo, cilantro and lime juice. Season it with season and pepper.
2. Spread the bread with the mayonnaise mixture.
3. Put the lettuce, mango and avocado together. Enjoy!